10 Jun 2015

Pigging Out at Baba Sus!


Dearest internet,

I found myself outside Baba Sus.  Slightly befuddled as to how I got there exactly as it camouflages itself down some random side street in a very suburban part of town.  Stubbornness got me there eventually ("SEETHING SUBTERFUGE! IT WAS I!" says the driver quite indignantly) and I was rewarded with this mirage. (Except, you know, it was real.)


Strategically located next to a post box in case you want to write home about it.



See the trees in the reflection?  That's where the Baba Sus logo is, and precisely what I didn't manage to capture.  Despite that being the whole point.  I was trying desperately hard to be super casual and not... 'sus'. (See what I did there guys? What do you mean 'shut up you're being lame'?  Well sorry for breathing.  Where am I going with this??)


Guess where I chose to sit and why! (Disclaimer: no free chocolate prizes)


Just imagine what it'll be like in spring or summer.


Not only could I stare at the counter, I had a creepily perfect view of the kitchen.  Despite working under what I can only imagine to be intense time pressures, the kitchen staff appeared very much in control with determined precision in every movement.  I know this because I was doing a lot of staring.  Also I was tracking every dish that was prepared with much enthusiasm (IS THAT MINE?)  


This table was highly sought after, and I took this 'ambience' photo (who am I kidding?) while there was a war over who should claim territory somewhere on the left.  All I could hear was a lot of pompous unsolicited noise from a certain customer who decided that he and his entourage should lay claim over another gentle group, rightfully being bestowed with the legal title as they had been patiently waiting to be seated for 10 minutes.  Baba Sus' choice in waitstaff is to be highly commended as they dealt with the situation with a 'the customer is always right!' attitude despite this particular customer being plainly... not quite right.  The waitstaff were so apologetic and provided a clear explanation as to why it wasn't possible and they would be promptly seated soon, but the customer flounced off, despite their best efforts, in a cloud of unjustified huff.  Baba Sus dealt with the situation with such grace and I would go back just for the friendly positive vibes the staff give off!


Now for something completely different (insert segue-way).  This soy mocha had the right balance between chocolate and coffee, with chocolate being the dominant flavour.  That's what I specifically asked for and what was delivered with love.


*whistles
Love you too baby!



The Baba Sus latte.  After a friendly and much welcomed chat with the barista and a waiter (such angels!), I was told that they have their own signature Baba Sus coffee blend made by a couture coffee roaster in Bendigo... or was is Ballarat?  Maybe it was neither (my memory fails me!) but it was reportedly good, smooth and a solid choice for those who like their coffee strong (according to the drinker who, in my humble opinion, is a coffee connoisseur and inordinately discerning).


Just because we all appreciate a little latte art.


Carb-loading to start.  Feast your sparkly eyes on these beer battered chips with kaffir lime salt and sriracha aioli.  I've had a lot of chips in my life (said solemnly as my eyes stare off into the distance with nostalgic wisdom) and these rate in my top few.  They were crispy on the outside, but soft and creamy on the inside.  They used fresh oil (unlike some cafes who think they can get away with using sludge scraped off the ocean after an oil spill) which gives the chips a cleaner flavour and a golden colour.  I'm a die-hard Sriracha fan so that little bowl put a spring in my step.  Don't let the photo fool you into thinking it's a small bowl btw. No no noooo, the amount served could be a meal in itself!  I suggest one bowl to share between a couple/few peeps.


LOOK AT THAT SEXY BEAST OF A WAFFLE.  ALL THE FEELS.  RIGHT IN THE HEART.  LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT IS TRUE Y'ALL. 


You know that feeling you get when you meet a celebrity?  I had to calm myself down and fan myself for a bit.  A few lovely inquisitive customers sitting adjacent asked me sociably what it was so I was provided an opportunity to gush about it a little.  Oh, where are my manners?  Let me introduce you to my dish!  They are the exceedingly famous, justly celebrated and highly photographed Hong Kong Egg Waffles conveniently located on the breakfast menu.  I was expecting just a pretty face, but this dish is brains and beauty, with each aspect of the dish tasty in itself.  The egg waffle was soft and pillowy, akin to eating tasty clouds, and were laced with vanilla custard goodness.  I was prepared for a sour berry compete (experience has me traumatised) but was rendered breathless by its candy sweetness.  The matcha ice-cream was... how to say?  Ah yes, perfect.  I was transported straight back to Japan.  It was so good, I would've licked the bowl if I didn't practice decorum.


If you're not as willing to put yourself out there as a strong candidate for diabetes like I am, there appears to be magnificent savoury options too.  I spotted a 'Blue Mountain Wagyu Burger' and many, many bowls of 'Soba Noodles' promenading past and I had to restrain myself mentally from pulling a Gollem with his 'preciiouussss'.  I also spotted vegetarian and gluten free choices on the menu that sounded appealing so rest assured that you're covered.  See you all there!  Talk soon loves x

Baba Sus
15-17 Bardolph Street,
Glen Iris VIC 3146

Click to add a blog post for Baba Sus on Zomato 

No comments:

Post a Comment